Any person is eligible for lineal membership in the ACGS, Inc who is 18 years of age or over and bears the name MacGregor or variations thereof, or the name of one of the numerous Septs, who can trace his/her ancestry to Scotland or the Americas prior to 1870.
Eligibility also includes descendants of an ancestor born prior to 1812 bearing the surname of Magruder or MacGehee.
The spouse of a Lineal Member may become an Associate member.
Associate Members can hold any office with the exception of Chieftain or Ranking Deputy Chieftain, and have the right to vote.
The following are the types of membership within ACGS:
- Lineal (regular) membership;
- Associate membership;
- Junior membership for those aged less than 18 years of age; and
- Lifetime membership.
The dues differ by the type of membership:
- Lineal is $40/year;
- Associate is $40/year;
- Junior is a one time fee of $5; and
- Lifetime is $300 if aged less than 60 years at the time of converting to life and $200 if 60 years of age or older;
- for any new member (other than a Junior) there is an application fee of $20 for confirming their genealogical eligibility