The American Clan Gregor Society is a genealogically based Society meaning members must meet certain requirements in their family history. Hence, any person is eligible for lineal membership in the ACGS, Inc if they:
- are 18 years of age or over and bears the name MacGregor or variations thereof, or the name of one of the numerous Septs, who can trace his/her ancestry to Scotland or the Americas prior to 1870; or
- are 18 years of age or over and descendants of an ancestor born prior to 1812 bearing the surname of Magruder or MacGehee.
The spouse of a Lineal Member may become an Associate member.
Associate Members can hold any office with the exception of Chieftain or Ranking Deputy Chieftain, and have the right to vote.
Membership Application Process
A potential member must complete an application form for the appropriate membership level, see below. Go to the link for the form needed, print the form and then complete it as completely as you are able. send the completed form, together with fee, to the Registrar, her address is on the form. An application fee of $20 should accompany the application form, unless this is for a junior member for whom there is no application fee.
The following are the types of membership within ACGS:
- Lineal (regular) membership (click here if additional generation pages are needed);
- Associate membership;
- Junior membership for those aged less than 18 years of age; and
- Lifetime membership; and
- Provisional membership
The dues differ by the type of membership:
- Lineal is $40/year;
- Associate is $40/year;
- Junior is a one time fee of $5;
- Lifetime is $3,000;
- For any new member (other than a Junior) there is an application fee of $20 for confirming their genealogical eligibility;
- Provisional membership costs $40/year for a maximum of 5 years. During this time period the genealogy of the person applying for membership can be ascertained. Dues are payable annually. A provisional member is entitled to all the benefits of a lineal member, but is ineligible to vote or hold any office.